Strategically, our partnership has focused on supporting the leadership of mental health in Japan, with a particular focus on programs in research, disaster mental health, and the role of art in mental health.
- National Institute of Mental Health, National Centre for Neurology and Psychiatry, Japan.
- Disaster Mental Health Centre, Japan
- Australia Japan Foundation
AAMH and Japan have collaborated on projects since 2005, including;
- Research collaborations between the National Center for Neurology and Psychiatry, Japan and Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, including co-hosting bilateral research symposiums.
- Mental health specialist training placements from Japan, facilitated through the POST program.
- Japan is an active participant in the Asia Pacific Community Mental Health Development Project (APCMHDP): Senior leaders attended conferences held in Melbourne, New Delhi, Bali and Beijing.
- Published key examples of Japan’s community mental health system in two APCMHDP publications.
- Co-developed the Art and Mental Health project initiative, and published a chapter in the Creative Opportunities publication on Art and Mental Health in the region.
Mental health profile of Japan
Learn about the mental health profile of Japan, available through the WHO Atlas Country Profile.